The genealogy of Jesus has been a source of debate for centuries. This article sheds light from a biblical persepctive on this important topic.
- Interpretation - Obtain a first century perspective on genealogies. Learn why the Israelites kept careful family records.
- Matthew's account - Gain a Jewish perspective on the ancestors of Joseph.
- Recorded women - Meet some of the remarkable women in Christ's family tree.
- Luke's account - See a Greek perspective on the ancestors of Mary.
- About Joseph - The unique treatment of Christ's father in the genealogies.
- Jehoiakim's curse - Learn about this obscure prophecy which may have influenced the virgin birth of Jesus.
- Objections - A summary of alleged discrepancies in the genealogical records.
- Closing remarks - Admission of limitations, and links to other resources.
Matthew 1:1-17 and Luke 3:23-38 present the genealogy of Jesus. Matthew recorded Joseph's lineage while Luke gave the family tree of Mary. This is why the names in each account differ.